Monday, January 23, 2012

Mild Eye Problem - Conjunctivitis


About a week ago, I notice a German roller acting like it could not see well. On close examination, I noticed his right eye was totally sealed shut. Using lukewarm water, I gently poured water over his eye until it unstuck. Click on the photo and noticed the missing feathering around the eye.


Immediately, I moved him to this "transport" cage which I purchased at the National Cage Bird Show from The Finch Connections vendor (www.thefinchconnections.com). I love this small cage and have already decided I need lots more of them.

With plastic perches, they stay clean much better than roller cages.They are great for isolation of sick birds as the food and water is easily accessible and always close to the bird.

And I also plan to use them for males that are destined to move from hen to hen but need a place for two days off to build their sperm count between hens.

I could use them when I am caging up a number of rollers trying to decide who goes in the show cages and perhaps I can get a cabinet made and use these cages for a song school!

The most common cause of mild eye problem cases is Mycoplasma but it also can be due to a number of infectious agents and even exposure to environmental toxins such as cigarette smoke and chemicals.

Once I was invited to visit an aviary of about a hundred red factors. The first thing I noticed after noting their beautiful color was that nearly everyone of the birds had mild eye problems. The problem was the perches that he cleaned with harsh chemicals and the birds rubbing their heads on the "clean" perches. After seeing this, I just wash my perches in plain water.

The only environmental factor I could find in my case was that he was fairly close to the heat pump and air would blow on off and on. This could cause dry eyes and set the scene for an eye problem.

I concur with veterinarian Dr. Rob Marshall who in his book Canary Health stated "baytril (enrofloxacin) is a first choice medicine when the cause of the illness has not been identified".
Enrofloxacin is available from some pigeon suppliers. I purchased mine from ladygouldianfinch.com.

You can either use one drop in the beak twice a day or administer in the water as directed on the label.



Positive response within 24 hours is typical with this medication but it is continued for several more days as directed on the label to prevent the common recurrence problem associated with eye infections.



Following the antibiotic treatment, the bird should remain on vitamin treated water such as orlux vitamins for five more days.







The bird is looking better and acting fine and I do not anticipate any further problems.

Note: can't get over how fast his beak grows, after taking the first picture, I trimmed it but look at today's picture, he needs it again!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Linda
I do think that 1 drop of 10% Enrofloxacin is too strong.If one considers that the water mix is 2ml per liter of water.The Baytril concentration per liter is 50 to 100 ppm.I reccomend that you mix 2 drops of water to 2 drops of antibiotic.Now give as perscribed .
Donald

Anonymous said...

I was looking at the photos of your canary and notice it seems to have exactly the same problem that mine has. She is a red factor and over the past week has had a mild eye problem similar to your bird's. The thing that really struck me though was that my bird's beak has also been growing very rapidly. I have heard that this could be a problem with diet. How is your bird doing?
Thanks.