Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Stafford Momma On A Mission - Plucking Chicks


With four chicks in the nest and two already out of the nest, momma has decided to pluck a few feathers to line the nest for her next clutch.

When this happens, I put another nest in the cage and lots of nesting material to distract her from looking for nesting material. I try different places in the cage and try to get her interested in a lower position nest as it is natural for birds to want to go to the highest place in the cage and that way the chicks might congregate above while mom lays her eggs without interference in a slightly lower new nest.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Linda,

I am happy to hear that you are doing well. You are a valuable resource to the canary community!

I have a dilemma and I’d appreciate any advice you can give me. I have a pair of canaries who seem to be a couple now. The female is currently sitting on 3 eggs and is still in the process of laying. After looking at my records, I’ve discovered that they are brother and sister, born a year apart. I am not sure what I should do now. I feel bad taking away her eggs and throwing them out, since she is sitting on them. What do you suggest I do?

Thanks,

Vivie

Linda Hogan said...

Vivie

How it works out kinda depends on how closely the parents were related. A common great pairing is half brother/sister.

I made the mistake once and paired a very related inbred German roller strain brother/sister and of course there were six chicks hatch all had genetic disability and could not perch.

At this point, I would play it out and perhaps you will not have the problem I had.