Sunday, September 14, 2014

Kicking It Up A Notch - Gain A Competitive Edge By Feeding Blattner's Sisken & Finch Seed

Wishing you could do something to make your birds more competitive?


After being unavailable in the US for several years,  the popular European Blattner Siskin & Finch Seed is now sold here by Bird Supply of New Hampshire.


Feeding a small amount of this high quality balanced seed mix has made a dramatic effect on my Border Fancy and Columbus Fancy canaries confirmation and tightened up the feathering on colorbred, Stafford and German Rollers. The positive effect is visible in just 24 hours after feeding!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like a good mix, thanks for sharing

Peter said...

Who sells Blattner's in the America My cousin needed to send it to me from the UK.

Linda Hogan said...

Bird Supply of New Hampshire sells Blattner's sisken and finch seed in the US. You can order on-line

Anonymous said...

Hi Linda,

Roller question: What is the ratio of rape seed to canary seed given to the Rollers in the regular season and during the 'song training' season? Is the same mix of rape and canary given to the females that you feed the males?

Thankyou...Hi.rollers

Linda Hogan said...

I feed females and off competition males the same as my other birds which is primarily L'Avian Plus which is high on canary. Since weaning I have been adding canola rape, straight canary, thistle, and sunflower chips to it.

Feeding males is during the competition season varies among breeders. My problem is some would rather starve than eat canola rape. Today I am going to start offering straight rape in an extra dish and sprouting it. Hopefully I can get them eating it well by the time I cage them is show cages. I wish they would eat 60% rape to 40% canary. I change to straight canary and canola rather than the vitamin fortified mix.

When a competition males prefers rape, I switch his cup each day with one who refuses to eat rape or give him all rape. Rape helps keep them in what I like to call "adolescent" boys song for a longer period of time as opposed to coming into the harsh breeding song.