Saturday, September 19, 2009

Saturday's Bird Bounty

Lovely Cauliflower Leaves From Conrad Garden Produce Stand!


This weeks greens include turnip, cauliflower, broccoli, and kohlrabi. I bought so many that they totally filled my deck table!


Notice how the broccoli has flowerette's this week!

Even though the growing season is winding down for the season, with cooler weather, some greens are coming on strong till frost. The timing is good as by mid October, I only feed stock birds greens till after the show season.

The turnip greens were purchased from the Health To You Stand and were very nice. Since they tend to wilt easily, I cut the stem and let them sit in cool water for an hour to crisp them up a bit before feeding to my birds.

Kohlrabi, cauliflower, and broccoli are heavier leaves more the texture of cabbage so they will keep well in the refrigerator till I feed them later in the week. Since Conrad Garden Produce picked heavily this week, it will likely be two weeks before I can get the Kohlrabi, cauliflower, collard, and broccoli leaves from their Farmer's Market Stand. in the meantime, I will buy the birds zucchini as they do love it too!

No comments: