It has been five days now and it is time to report on the successful treatment of my first mite infestation that occurred last Sunday.
These chicks hatched on mite day! The two clears are German Rollers and two variegated are Staffords. I put the rollers in with the Stafford pair because they had been wonderful feeders in their first round and I wanted the chicks to have every advantage. As you can see they look great! Neither the parents or chicks were treated with anything extra. Just the pest strips and Sevin dusted under every nest pad.
So how did the pest strips do? I watched intently during the episode and I believe it took about four hours to kill the mites!! I also monitored some flies and they were dead about then too. No adults and no chicks, regardless of their age, died after putting the pest strips in the aviary!My only regret is not treating when I first saw the pale newborn chicks which although I considered mites didn't really believe that was what it was because in all the years I had never had mites and even on careful examination of birds and nest, I could not find them. I kept thinking something was dramatically wrong with the feeding and even blamed the Exact. As I noticed chicks not thriving I would supplement with hand feeding and they would get worse. Overall after seeing the first two pale chicks, I failed to identify the problem till two weaning age and seven newborns died..If you look at the big picture, my loss was small considering that I have about 100 chicks.
Next step: I am going to treat the birds directly, comparing ivermectin with other products and change and treat trays. I already had diatomaceous earth under the trays and I will sprinkle some in with the corn cob tray cover.
Iverlux is an ivermectin product that is very effective against parasites and I have ivermectin on hand. I will order some S76 and Scatt as their mechanism of action would be treat the mite without effecting the bird.
Big bird treated her bites with numerous showers, benadryl and corticosteriod cream.